Sunday, June 18, 2006

Opting out...

Does it seem that sometimes, things are just sdrawkcab? (OK - that's ...backwards...) I happened to pick up an insert that came with my latest credit card bill, and actually read part of it! (I know what you're thinking, but, yes, I DO have a life...) I was reading the part about opting out.

Let's see. I have to provide some essential information to get a credit card. If I don't give the information, I don't get their card. The company now has information like address, email, phone numbers, etc. on file. As I read this little flyer, it comes to mind that the company has now taken ownership of that information. They can publish, sell, give away, or do anything they seem to want to do, with it.

I can only gain back that control if I fill out a form that may or may not work, which may or may not reach the proper desk, or call them and work through some 10 levels of menu and then finally give up because there's no one to talk to anyway. I tell them I don't want them to include it on any lists that are sold, given away, or otherwise distributed. They are then obligated to not do that any more. (Oh yeah - if they happen to sell it before my message reaches them, 10/100/1000 other companies already have it, and I have to go through THEIR systems, too!) In fact, nowhere could I find that the company is under any obligation whatsoever to even tell you to whom your information was distributed! Now, I ask you, isn't that just crazy?

Why isn't the ACLU all over this? They seem to jump into all those areas where someone is taking away someone's rights! Of course, they're probably too busy fighting against important things, like including God in the pledge, or - heaven forbid - having the 10 commandments or a cross on federal property! This cause would at least give the ACLU something constructive, rather than destructive, to do! (sorry - didn't mean to start a rant...)

Why not instead have the choice to OPT IN instead of OPT OUT? You know, because it's MY information, and not theirs, they shouldn't be able to use it unless I say it's OK! Or, at the very least, require them to send the OWNER of personal information (e.g. ME) a detailed list of every place that information's been sent, along with a check for the use of that "trademark." There's a novel approach!

So - I've had my say. And, by the way, you have my permission to quote me!

1 comment:

Glynis said...

Go ahead, Dad, rant away! I agree with every little bit and btw, I may JUST quote you :)!!