Tuesday, June 27, 2006

"Loose lips sink ships..."

ARGHHHH!

Yes, That's frustration showing its ugly head. I've been listening to the news reports concerning the release of classified information associated with tracking financial records. And if I hear one more person, who is being interviewed as an "authority" on anything, say that "the public has the RIGHT to know..." I'll probably choke! I heard one person from the media saying something to the effect of (loosely quoted here.. ) "...it's up to the media to police and report on everything the government is doing..."

The title is chosen from a slogan used during our World Wars to emphasize that each of us has a responsibility to protect the information any enemy could use against us. We were united in this. Apparently, we aren't any more.

I'm speaking as one who has held high-level security clearances for most of my adult life. The public DOESN'T have the right to know everything! There are just some things that shouldn't be out there! Sometimes they just can't handle it. An incident comes immediately to mind from the first Persian Gulf war. On one operation, there were Navy Seals and other service special forces coming ashore for an operation, only to be met by the media with lights and cameras there to capture and report on how it was going! Absolutely ABSURD! Don't they understand the concept of special ops??? Or of keeping something quiet to allow it to work??? I guess not.

Just knowing something doesn't make it right to say it. Let the government handle things as they see best from the overall scheme of things. They have a lot more information than you or I do.

To comment on the "leakers" would be an entire different 'blog', so I'll not get deep into that. But it's clear that we have at least two elements at work in the country ~ the elected government who does things by established laws, and the people working for them who, on their own, seem to "know better" and take it upon themselves to put things into the public sector for their own purposes.

OK - I've said my piece - thanks for bearing with me.

The Colonel.....

2 comments:

Glynis said...

Amen! I want to know why we, who pay the salaries of all gov't officials, don't seem to have a right to know who the 'leakers' are who aren't doing the job I'm paying them for!!! Whew. I feel better.

Anonymous said...

Another view:
Bush has a secret court proceeding he can go through to get authorization for phone records, financial records, internet records, Library records and so forth. Heck, Bush can even go to this court after the fact to get his spying approved.

Bush chose to do none of this. He wants everyone to just trust him. Like we did in the lead-up to the Iraqi war.

I say, thank God for people who blow the horn on this misbehavior. Bush is abusing his power to an extraordinary level. And, as indicated above, unnecessarily.

If he had gone through legal processes, there might be some repercussions to disclosing secret information. But following the law doesn't interest him or his administration.

We are NOT so threatened that we can afford to abandon legal process.